Blog

5/13/2024 10:38:28 PM

Bird's Eye View - Series

Vic Mastis / Comment on this

After struggling with painters block for several months, I decided to tried many different mediums and methods.  I took a few classes and just felt that my artwork needed to have a deeper meaning.  Going back to the beginning of my art career- what did I like to do first? Drawing was the answer. So I started drawing again.  I wanted my art to remind the owner of their dreams and ambitions.  To stir something in side of them and be there to remind them of their vision.

 

This series is to help encourage and remind people to be all you can be; not to dismiss their dreams and keep that goal in mind. 

As I was watching a couple of Grackle Birds playing in a rain puddle at a gas station (You never know where you will find inspiration), I decided to use the Grackle Birds to represent humankind because of their symbolism of self-expression, bravery and family dedication.  Just some of what I want to say!  I liked their luminous feathers, long tail and long legs.  I could really make them show different emotions with their stance.

 

Topics from self love, positive behavior and specific goals to mentoring, reminding and encouraging are what my paintings are about.  So I have committed to create 20 original paintings but will release a few at a time so I really have time to cultivate each theme.  My email newsletter people will get first dibs on the originals.  I plan to have some prints available also.  Be sure to sign up at https://www.vicmastisart.com/email-newsletter

 

More to come in next blog!!

 

 

 

 

 

 

Read More

2/27/2022 9:16:35 PM

A String of Flops

Vic Mastis / 2 Comments

 

Sometimes no matter how hard you try to paint a good painting, you create flops.  Paintings that just don't turn out for some reason.  Some parts of the painting may be good where other parts don't make the cut or the whole painting is not right.  This is different from practicing a new technique, doing a drawing or a study of an idea you have in

mind.  I am talking about when you are ready to create work to put in a competition, a gallery or on someones wall, true serious work.  Work that you have worked on for hours, days or even weeks and something is wrong with it.  When this happens a few times in a row it makes you start wondering, how did I ever create those other paintings that look pretty good.

 

You try to figure out what is wrong with the paintings. Sometimes you get too close to a painting after working on it a long time; even when you stand back to look at it often.  But you have invested all this time and materials you don't want to waste.  So you keep working on it hoping something will fall into place.  Sometimes you can fix it.  Sometimes putting it away for a little while will help you see what the painting needs.  Sometimes you just need to throw it away or paint over it.

 

Well, this just happened to me. Not one flop but five flops in a row!  It has happened periodically through out my art career.  Not often but when it happens it is earth shaking.  I wonder why it happened.  Was it the state of the world? my world? Do I have other things on my mind?  Am I not feeling on top of the world?  Am I afraid to get my new studio dirty, messed up or waste materials?  Am I not inspired?  Am I nervous about trying to make a really good piece for a competition? Am I ready for a new style, subject matter or medium? Who knows?

 

I have learned from the past, when this happens, usually it is because I am growing in my artistic ability. Maybe seeing how a painting is put together, how to use my medium differently, my eye sees more contrast or who knows. So I step away from painting for a short while.  I looked at art books and magazines for answers.  I do some doodling.  Look at reference photos.  Look at my other paintings.  Look at other artist’s paintings. Look at the Masters. Listen to music. Finally, I get my courage up to try again.  I have to, I can't stay stuck in this void!  I try to stay calm and start another painting, maybe take a different direction.  It is very scary at first.  Finally, the painting is starting to turning out!!  I keep working.  I am seeing a little differently  now and I am liking it!!  I am smiling on the inside!  Hopefully the next one will turn out too.  But if it doesn’t-well - I will just have to work through it again.

 

Read More

1/22/2022 9:32:35 PM

Thankful Surprise

Vic Mastis / Comment on this

When I heard about the Albrecht-Kemper Museum of Art Member Exhibition I started thinking about which painting I wanted to put in the show.  I immediately thought about my “Red Sky at Night”. It was small and painted well.  I had to mail this painting to St. Joseph, Missouri and back.  

 

My husband and I decided to go to the opening as he had a painting in the show also.  Then the weather forecast changed.  It was supposed to snow in St. Joseph starting Friday night. Weatherman said 7 degrees with 20 to 30 mph winds on Saturday morning when we were going leave.  I wanted to change my mind and not go.  But my husband was already half packed.  I kept thinking, “Are we crazy to go 230 miles, stay all night in the snow, wind and cold?”  Well, we went anyway.

 

When we got to the museum, I forgot about the weather.   I couldn’t wait to see where my painting hung.  They told us the show was down stairs.  I hurried down and started hunting.  There were so many nice paintings.  I was halfway through the exhibit when I spotted my painting on this small wall in the entryway of the large room.  The lighting made the painting show up well.  

 

It was time for the awards so we all went into the auditorium.  Eric Fusion, the director, thanked everyone for coming with the predication of the bad weather.  He started reading the awards for the different mediums in the show.  My category, painting, was the last one to get called.  I looked up and saw my painting bigger than life right there on the screen in the Museum of Art.  I couldn’t believe it!!  I was so excited I didn’t even know which award I won.  I had to ask my husband. He said it was an Honable Mention.  I knew there was a reason we had traveled there with the bleak forecast.

 

It didn’t start snowing until we got to our hotel room.  It snowed all night totaling about 6 inches.  In the morning when we got on the interstate, we were going 35 mph until we were an hour and half south.  Then the roads got better.  I do think we were “nuts” but at least I was there to see my painting up on that big screen and no car accidents!

 

Read More

11/28/2021 10:53:21 PM

Muse at the Museum

Vic Masts / Comment on this

I was so excited when the email came from the Missouri Valley Impressionist Society: your results are in- go to your account to see them. Anxiously, I opened the account.  There it was.  Both of my paintings were checked accepted!!  This was a Museum show!! At the Albrecht-Kemper Museum of Art!!  Elated!!  Happy Dance!!

 

The Albrecht-Kemper Museum of Art in St. Joseph, Missouri is a grand old building.  It was the former home of Mr. & Mrs. William Albrecht. As my husband and I walked in, there were Eric Fuson, Executive Director and his staff greeting us at the door!  Wow, what a warm welcome!! 

 

I couldn’t wait to see my paintings on the museum walls. As we went down stair, there was my pastel painting “On the Surface”  right up front on the landing.  The lighting on it was excellent and I do have to say, it looked stunning!  I was filled with joy to see it hang in such a wonderful place.  Now, to find my other painting.  I just kept seeing  paintings in the exhibit that caught my eye and kept distracting me. But I really wanted to find it.   Finally, there it was!  “Sunrise Reflections” was placed above another gorgeous painting in the front room.  The Museum staff hang the paintings so well. They were put together by theme, size and color and went together beautifully. My muse told me I had done a good job. I left the Museum very proud. 

 

Read More

1/11/2019 3:51:26 PM

Vacancy

Vic Mastis / Comment on this

Vacancy – Pastel – 12x9

 

I did this small loose pastel from a reference photo I had taken at my Grandson's school. I went to pick him up when this cute little birdhouse among the tall flowers caught my eye. Everytime I went to pick him up I looked for birds to be nesting in the habitat. I'm sorry to say, the last time I went to pick him up-the birdhouse was gone. 

 

Read More

1/6/2019 9:23:13 PM

That Kind of Day!

Vic Mastis / Comment on this

 

Clear Lake Lily Pads – Oil – 5×5

As I stood outside painting a 5x5 at a recent Winnebago event, I was approached by a lady. She had been walking by and the painting caught her eye. She said, "I would like to buy it!" I explained that I hadn't even finished it yet and asked if she'd like to wait to decide. She replied, "No, I know it's going to be good by what I see so far." I went ahead and sold her the painting, and then finished it up. She picked it up the next day. Later on, she came back. I wondered whether she changed her mind -- but to my delight she simply came back to tell me what her husband thought. She said, "I showed my husband and he said 'boy, she is a professional!" Then, she asked me to paint a similar scene so she could gift it to a friend. This is the kind of day an artist loves to have! I wanted to share this story to encourage my fellow artists, because you never know who will feel moved by your art!

 

Read More

12/22/2018 10:28:57 PM

Am I In or Am I Out?

Vic Mastis / Comment on this

Am I In or Am I Out?

I was so excited when I opened the email from the Pastel Society of Southeast Texas to see if I had been accepted into their National Exhibit “Art of the Pastel”. It wasn’t your typical letter- usually the competition letters start out either Congratulations or I am sorry to say……. This one had a beginning paragraph about the success of the Pastel Society. 

 

Second paragraph - Thank you for submitting your work—-I thought here goes the Dear John letter. But it didn’t - it talked about the overall competition.

 

Anyone who knows me, knows I have dyslexia so when I read my eyes like to jump around. So when I am all excited my eyes bounce around more than usual. My eyes kept searching for a Yes or a No.

 

Third paragraph was the longest one on the page which told about how the two jurors judged the show and what they were looking for in a painting. This is all good info to know after I find out, am I in or out? 

 

Fourth paragraph was thanking us for entering the competition. There were a couple of sentences in bold….is this it my eyes said? No, then right after the fourth paragraph listed in a column were my two entries and their titles with an “Accepted “ after each each! I was so elated!! Yes, my paintings “Morning Walk 2” and “Morning Walk 5” were accepted into the National Exhibit of the Pastel Society of Southeast Texas.

For anyone who is in the area of Southeast Texas, the opening and reception is Saturday, April 28, 2018 from 6:00 - 9:30 pm at The Center for the Arts and Sciences, 400 College Blvd, Clute TX 77531. The exhibit/sale will run thru May 23, 2018. Thank you jurors!!

 

Read More